Healthier Halloween
Most of our childhood memories of Halloween are likely tied to one major thing: candy! I remember getting candy at school, candy at fall festivals, and of course, candy while going out trick or treating. Just like everything else this year, these Halloween festivities are going to look much different. Many schools have gone completely virtual, fall festivals are out of the question due to restrictions on large gatherings, and going door to door is not ideal for social distancing purposes. While I know parents are still finding ways to give their children a version of the classic Halloween experience, I also think this is a great opportunity to make the holiday a little less candy-centric.
Now I know this doesn’t sound fun and kids across America would probably groan at the idea of their parents trying to make Halloween healthier, but hear me out! I think I have a few ideas of ways to give kids their sugary fix, but this time paired with some nutritional value. I don’t have children, but I work at a pre-school and honestly, I’m just a sucker for some themed snacks! One of the things I have decided to put together for our class at work during Halloween week is a fruit and veggie tray complete with some sugary edible eyeballs and chocolate decorations. Think chocolate covered grape eyeballs, cucumber skulls, and mandarin oranges with spider web chocolate piping. Although it’s no candy, kids usually love fruit too! And paired with some chocolate and other sugary decorations, I think they will enjoy it almost as much. It may actually convince them to eat their veggies when they are cut into fun shapes with a Halloween theme! For our Halloween party, I will make some white chocolate covered strawberry “ghosts,” spider and monster themed sandwiches, and quesadillas cut into fun Halloween shapes among other things. Of course, we will have some special treats like cookies and Cheetos, but it’s definitely more of a balanced approach to a holiday that’s traditionally all about the sweets! Finally, for a special take home treat, I plan on making some sugar cookie “skulls” decorated with an assortment of fruit to resemble day of the dead style sugar skulls.
When I am home on Halloween night after a long work week, I know I will want a nice, warm, comforting meal. I picked out a recipe for a spicy sweet potato and kale curry that looks perfect! The orange and green colors stick to the Halloween theme and the meal itself will be delicious and nutritious!
You will be able to find pictures of my Halloween spread on my Instagram on Halloween day @cookeatrepeat901 as well as some more information on the beneficial vitamins and minerals that can be found in these recipes. I hope you will find some inspiration there if you have kids at home! My goal is always to balance the fun and delicious foods with the healthy and nutritious ones. You really can have it all! Have a happy Halloween, no matter what it will look like for you!
Ayden Hayes
Comments
Post a Comment