Creative ways to incorporate liver in the diet


Happy Saturday everyone!  For my takeover day, I chose liver.  I didn’t realize how nutritious liver was until learning about it in Metabolism class. With almost every vitamin that liver was associated with, its daily value percentage was off the charts. It only takes a 3 oz portion of liver to provide over 100% of the DV% of Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin A, B12, and Iron.  When I was child, I ate a lot of liver and it wasn’t a meal I remember fondly.  But now I know the health benefits my mother was providing me.  However, liver recipes still look like the same as the ones from my childhood. It wouldn’t be my first choice for dinner even knowing how healthy it is. 

This week, I researched liver recipes online and the majority still lean towards liver and onions.  There is some variety that includes different sauces and vegetables, but the base is still liver and onions.  A few stood out as being more creative.  Like, the website bbcgoodfood.com ‘Calves’ liver with sticky onion relish & prosciutto’ that looked quite appetizing. (I’ll be posting that link and pic later).  But I’m still not brave enough to try liver again. 

So, how do I incorporate liver in the diet if I’m not willing to eat liver?  Quite a conundrum, right?!  Well, thanks to Pinterest I found an answer.  There were a few bloggers that had already answered the question.  Blending liver into hamburger-based recipes so it isn’t the main ingredient but can still provide the nutrients.  Since liver can be pureed and then frozen into cubes, it can be added to any recipe that includes hamburger and blend right in.  Meals that include chili, lasagna, tacos, and meatloaf can now have an added boost of nutrients!  Later today, I am going to brave this recipe and decide if I can add liver to my menu in the future. 

Crystal Rogers

Comments

Popular Posts