Stephanie's Two Sents Worth on Nutrition






Stephanie’s Two Sents on Nutrition


The Summer of 2017, I volunteered at Memphis Nutrition Group with the owners Brigid Kay and Blair Mize. They suggested I read the book Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch. Brigid and Blair took it one step further and bought the book for me as a gift. This book was in line with my beliefs and how I wanted to care for my health.

About seven (7) years ago, I promised myself that I would never go on another diet. The grapefruit diet, the 3-day diet, the no bread, no carbs diet, and Weight Watchers diet had been tried and were not successful. While on these diets, I broke out in a rash, stayed hungry continuously, obsessed all day on food, and felt like a failure after gaining the 3 - 5 lbs I lost. After going through this process so many times, and too many to count, I said that I would not eat bad at every meal and I would add healthy foods to my diet such as fruits, vegetables, lean meats, nuts, and oils.

Intuitive Eating is teaching me to reject the diet mentality altogether, honor my hunger by eating when I am hungry, acknowledge my fullness and stop eating, discover the satisfaction factor, and respect my body. In essence, no food is a "BAD" food, enjoy any food I choose to eat, listen to my body signals to tell me that I am no longer hungry, and to respect my body by giving it credit for getting me to where I am now. This is not an easy feat to simple say that I will stop my old habits. This is something that I have to remind myself of when I fall back into my old patterns.

We read magazines, social media and watch commercials and infomercials that swear that any size over 2 is not a healthy size for young adults and women. This is simply not true.

After working with Brigid and Blair, I experienced something that is helping me to change my mindset and thought pattern. I attended a few classes that they had with ballerinas, lawyers, and regular everyday people where they talked about eating. They both used phrases such as fueling your body, nourishing your body, eating breakfast by breaking the fast from overnight, and my plate. They never once used the words dieting, healthy eating, clean eating, limiting certain foods, or eliminating fried foods. This blew my mind in a wonderful and surprising way. By doing this, Brigid and Blair removed all power and stigmas; negative or otherwise to those words and phrases we have become accustomed to hearing regarding nutrition. They both emphasized that our bodies needs a variety of foods including carbs, fats, veggies, lean protein, and fruits to thrive.

It is even more clear than ever that everyone has an opinion about everything and everybody. As future RDNs, we must be very careful with the information we dispense in classrooms, meetings, and our social media accounts. We must stay current, relevant, compassionate, empathy, and never mislead our audience, patients, and clients with trendy information. So, before we add our 2 Sents, let's be very clear, accurate, and concise with the material, advice, and data we give.  

Comments

Popular Posts