Not Dieting But Rather, A Lifestyle
Not Dieting But Rather, A Lifestyle
Kathia Muñoz
November 7th, 2018
For many years when I heard the term "Nutrition," for some reason it always made me cringe. I will admit I was one of those who would overhear someone talk about a new diet they were trying, and I would loudly comment that I had just had a slice of pizza and a coke for breakfast that morning. You know those kinds of people? The ones who try to validate their lack of proper nutrition because of either a lack of knowledge or a distaste to anything that would be considered "restrictive?" That was me. It was not until I entered my sophomore year of high-school that I finally understood why having a good view on nutrition was important for me. Growing up I would hear about the adults on diets that restricted them of even taking in air pretty much. I would listen to my mom and her friends complain and complain about being so miserable on the diet that they were on and it left me dumbfounded. As a result of listening to them, I developed a distaste for "diets" as so many people often do. Fast forward to today and I have a whole different outlook on the meaning of that word. Now the word diet to me, is just a word used to describe someones entire food consumption of that day, week, or month. The word no longer has a negative connotation to it because now I understand that it does not have to mean sacrifices and restrictions.
The number one thing that has helped me transition into having a healthier life-style when it comes to my nutrition, is that when you are trying to make a change to your normal everyday food consumption, you cannot set unobtainable goals for yourself. I feel as though this is why so many diets are so unsuccessful and then a diet suddenly carries a negative connotation. When a change in habit is in order, there must be small goals to be met to meet an overall bigger goal. This is where life style comes into play. Obtaining a better nutritional intake starts with lifestyle habits. Little things here and there that you can begin to change about your diet to eventually turn them into habits and then lifestyles.
I was in high-school when I realized that I was lactose sensitive. There would be days where I was doubled over in pain because I had eaten something with dairy in it. My Doctor used the term "diet" to describe my new dietary limits and I sighed and decided it was pointless. Countless nights lost due to stomach pain made me decide to take action. It was then that I realized I didn't have to be so harsh on myself and that taking recipes and changing them here and there would go a long way if I tailored them to my sensitivity. I now help other people forget the word diet and its negative association and help them to make little changes and begin new habits to better their health.
Kathia Muñoz
November 7th, 2018
For many years when I heard the term "Nutrition," for some reason it always made me cringe. I will admit I was one of those who would overhear someone talk about a new diet they were trying, and I would loudly comment that I had just had a slice of pizza and a coke for breakfast that morning. You know those kinds of people? The ones who try to validate their lack of proper nutrition because of either a lack of knowledge or a distaste to anything that would be considered "restrictive?" That was me. It was not until I entered my sophomore year of high-school that I finally understood why having a good view on nutrition was important for me. Growing up I would hear about the adults on diets that restricted them of even taking in air pretty much. I would listen to my mom and her friends complain and complain about being so miserable on the diet that they were on and it left me dumbfounded. As a result of listening to them, I developed a distaste for "diets" as so many people often do. Fast forward to today and I have a whole different outlook on the meaning of that word. Now the word diet to me, is just a word used to describe someones entire food consumption of that day, week, or month. The word no longer has a negative connotation to it because now I understand that it does not have to mean sacrifices and restrictions.
The number one thing that has helped me transition into having a healthier life-style when it comes to my nutrition, is that when you are trying to make a change to your normal everyday food consumption, you cannot set unobtainable goals for yourself. I feel as though this is why so many diets are so unsuccessful and then a diet suddenly carries a negative connotation. When a change in habit is in order, there must be small goals to be met to meet an overall bigger goal. This is where life style comes into play. Obtaining a better nutritional intake starts with lifestyle habits. Little things here and there that you can begin to change about your diet to eventually turn them into habits and then lifestyles.
I was in high-school when I realized that I was lactose sensitive. There would be days where I was doubled over in pain because I had eaten something with dairy in it. My Doctor used the term "diet" to describe my new dietary limits and I sighed and decided it was pointless. Countless nights lost due to stomach pain made me decide to take action. It was then that I realized I didn't have to be so harsh on myself and that taking recipes and changing them here and there would go a long way if I tailored them to my sensitivity. I now help other people forget the word diet and its negative association and help them to make little changes and begin new habits to better their health.

Comments
Post a Comment