Little by Little
Little by Little
Jayne Simmers
November 4, 2018
I often get asked "how can I lose weight?" or "can you help me lose weight?" due to me being a senior in the DPD(Didactic Program in Dietetics) program at the University of Memphis. My answer is always a question asking about what their diet looks like, and their answer pretty much sums up the main reason they are overweight. Lack of nutrition knowledge is one of the main reasons.
"All good work is done the way ants do things, little by little" - Lafcadio Hearn. Change does not happen over night. Frankly, losing twenty-five pounds by the wedding that is two weeks away is just not going to happen nor should it happen. Change occurs gradually.
Start with baby steps. Evaluate your diet, and see what are some things you can cut out that you know are unhealthy for you. Maybe you drink four Coke's a day, or maybe you add three packets of sugar in your cup of coffee each morning, or maybe you do not cook your own food instead you go out to eat every day. Set a small goal for yourself such as limiting yourself to one Diet Coke, using Splenda in your coffee rather than table sugar, cooking dinner at home once week rather than going out to eat every day. Start little. You do not have to make this huge change to start living a better life. Once you achieve that goal, set another one. Okay, I am limiting myself to one Diet Coke, let's see if I can cut out the Diet Coke period and just drink a half a gallon of water a day. A lot of small positive changes add up to one big positive change in the long run.
I highly recommend meeting with your local Dietitian to further discuss plans of action, and accountability.
Jayne Simmers
November 4, 2018
I often get asked "how can I lose weight?" or "can you help me lose weight?" due to me being a senior in the DPD(Didactic Program in Dietetics) program at the University of Memphis. My answer is always a question asking about what their diet looks like, and their answer pretty much sums up the main reason they are overweight. Lack of nutrition knowledge is one of the main reasons.
"All good work is done the way ants do things, little by little" - Lafcadio Hearn. Change does not happen over night. Frankly, losing twenty-five pounds by the wedding that is two weeks away is just not going to happen nor should it happen. Change occurs gradually.
Start with baby steps. Evaluate your diet, and see what are some things you can cut out that you know are unhealthy for you. Maybe you drink four Coke's a day, or maybe you add three packets of sugar in your cup of coffee each morning, or maybe you do not cook your own food instead you go out to eat every day. Set a small goal for yourself such as limiting yourself to one Diet Coke, using Splenda in your coffee rather than table sugar, cooking dinner at home once week rather than going out to eat every day. Start little. You do not have to make this huge change to start living a better life. Once you achieve that goal, set another one. Okay, I am limiting myself to one Diet Coke, let's see if I can cut out the Diet Coke period and just drink a half a gallon of water a day. A lot of small positive changes add up to one big positive change in the long run.
I highly recommend meeting with your local Dietitian to further discuss plans of action, and accountability.
Comments
Post a Comment