Green Power!



Today was all about green! I hope some of todays's recipes has inspired you to add a little green to your diet. Tonight we focus on brussel sprouts. I could eat roasted brussel sprouts all day long....but I want to share with you my favorite recipe! 


Dinner:
Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Dejon Mustard and Green Apples
This PERRRfect for thanksgiving coming up! 

Ingredients:
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen Brussels sprouts
  • 2 apples - peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
  • 1 sweet onions, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
  • 5 tbspDijon mustard(or more if needed)
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or as needed
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 pinch garlic powder to taste
  • sprinkle with slivered almonds before roasting



  • Prep 15 m
  • Cook 30 m
  • Ready In 35 m

Directions:
1.    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).Add oil to cast iron pan and preheat for 5-8 minutes.
2.    Caramelize the onions in a cast iron pan for 5-10 minutes until lightly browned. 
3.    Arrange frozen brussels sprouts in a single layer in a cast iron skillet. Drizzle the sprouts and onions with olive oil and mustard; sprinkle with salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and almonds. Toss the mixture gently to coat.Place in oven to start roasting for about 30 minutes.
4.    Add slices apples with 5 minutes remaining. 
*I adjust roasting times for desired doneness. I prefer a darker roast and will sometimes roast for 40 minutes. Change to suit. Directions for this recipe are for FROZEN Brussels sprouts (i.e. still iced when placed in the oven). Fresh veggies require less roasting time-they also have a better taste!
Nutrients: vitamin B6potassiumironthiaminemagnesium and phosphorus.
 Brussels sprouts are low in calories but high in many nutrients, especially fibervitamin K and vitamin C!


Phosphorus Spotlight: Did you know that phosphorus basically keeps us alive? It plays MANY functions! For example, it is the backbone in nucleic acids that are located in our DNA and RNA! 

I hope you enjoyed this all of the postings from today!


In good health, 
Hannah Reynolds 


Comments

Popular Posts