Eating Healthy on a Budget
Welcome everyone!I hope everyone followed along today as we visited some different grocery stores around town. If you didn't, you can go catch up on Instagram at memphisdpd or on Facebook at Memphis Dpd. I'll also do a little recap here as well.
"I can't afford to shop at health food stores"
Health food stores can be more expensive than other grocery stores. However, if you shop the sales you can get some great deals! Every Tuesday, The Fresh Market has antibiotic-free chicken breasts for $2.99/lb. You don't need to shop at places like Whole Foods, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, and The Fresh Market to eat healthy. While these places are wonderful and have some great products they are more expensive. They just are. But, if you're wanting to go look around and see what these stores have to offer, don't forget to check the sales!
"I shop at discount grocery stores and they don't have health foods."
"I want to eat healthier but I don't want to spend a fortune or stop eating the things I love."
A great place you can go to save on your grocery bill is Aldi. Overall their prices are some of the best I've seen. When shopping at any store, consider switching something you normally buy to a slightly healthier version. For example, switch regular peanut butter for an all natural version with no hydrogenated fat. Switch bread, oats, and pasta with whole grain options. And maybe even swap the chips and dip you love so much for some carrots and hummus. You might think, "well it would probably be even more healthy to make my own hummus. I just really don't have time for that. And if this isn't as healthy as homemade hummus, then really why even bother. I might as well just get the chips and dip." Don't go down this rabbit hole! Store bought hummus is better than a tub of processed cheese, so don't get overwhelmed and throw in the towel. Just ask yourself "Is this better for me than what I'm eating now?" You don't need to start off by being the epitome of health. Just continue to make conscious decisions like these. Making a few switches like these over time can lead to great changes!It's been a blast today and I hope everyone found something to take away from this. A lot of us who have become familiar with eating healthier forget how overwhelming it can all be in the beginning. If someone is wanting to start living a healthier lifestyle for the first time, I hope you will all give them a few of these pointers and help keep them encouraged!
- Samantha Kaiser



Comments
Post a Comment