Common Myths About Dietitians

Common Myths About Dietitians 

As a RD to be I have noticed a few common misconceptions that I would like to clarify about the profession and those of us who have chosen this path for our lives. The first is when I am asked what I am studying in school and respond with “dietetics” they quickly jump to the conclusion that I should write them a meal plan. As exciting as that may be to sit with a client and discuss the ways in which food can change their lifestyle that will not be my only job description. Dietitians for the longest time held a stigma of “encouraging weight loss” and although that may be one goal it is not the only goal in mind. Another myth I have encountered is that I somehow will be judging what you have on your plate. I personally fell in love with food way before I fell in love with dietetics and I would like the same for my patients as well. If you love a food than have that food but enjoy it with a little self-control and moderation. I am here to encourage a patient's curiosity for nutritional knowledge not to look down upon the path that has brought them that curiosity. Another myth is that all dietitians are skinny. This simply is not true for this profession or any other health care profession. Every person comes in a different shape and size that typically has no correlation with their job. The final and quite possibly the most common myth is that a dietitian and nutritionist are interchangeable. A dietitian has had a minimum of a bachelor's degree in education from an ACEND accredited program, completed a supervised practice program, passed a national examination, RN or RDN adorn their name and dietitians practice continuing education in order to obtain their license. A nutritionist title is not legally protected without the above requirements which would than make that person a dietitian. When seeking professional help from a RD please don’t be deceived or discouraged. Our goal is to spread knowledge and help you achieve your goals medically and personally. Discuss with your primary care physician what your options are and get the knowledge you deserve.  

-Avery Ross 



Comments

Popular Posts